Monday, April 12, 2010

Those Pesky (and funny) Cousins

I had lunch today with two of my cousins, Karen and Pat. What a HOOT! A good time was definitely had by all. We had a wonderful time talking about family and friends and remembering those that are no longer with us.

THEY had sandwiches and FRIED okra. I had a salad and rosemary chicken! THEY shared a piece of chocolate something-or-the-other pie. I had one bite!

They went home smiling with full tummies. I was down another half-pound this morning.

We all went home happy to be family with one another. We are sorry the rest of the cousins missed this time with us. Let's all get together and do this some time. The reunion is coming up June 6, remember!!!

Number One Son called this afternoon and CHALLENGED me to "up my game." He had just ridden 18 miles on his bicycle and wanted to know what I was going to do to match or beat him. Of course, this was probably the first time that he has ridden this far and may well be the last time he rides this far (HA! Returned the challenge right back at ya!) so he had to make the most of it the one time he actually did it.

So I promptly went outside and pushed my lawn mower through foot-tall weeds for an hour. Yes, it was running!!!! But I didn't use the self-propelled part.

Let's see...1.5 hours on a bicycle for a 28-year-old compared to 1 hour behind a push mower in tall weeds for a 55-year-old (OK.....56-year-old)! Who do you think worked harder for their age?

As I told Karen & Pat, I don't seem to be getting as hungry as I usually do. The cravings have lessened quite a bit and this isn't as hard as it usually is.

Just wait, though. I am planning on taking Donna to Golden Pagoda this week and I may just lose ground on that one meal alone.

Maybe I should have had a piece of coconut pie today!

Oh Well!

Now, for being a good reader and sticking with me, here is your treat. Sit! Beg! Good Boy!

FARM KID IN THE ARMY

Dear Ma and Pa,

I am well. Hope your are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Army beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed until nearly 6 a.m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, or wood to split. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but is is not so bad. There's warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc. but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It's no wonder those city boys can't walk much.

We go on "route marches" which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A "route march" is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Then we have what we call "hand-to-hand" combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful, though. They break real easy. It ain't like fighting that ole' bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake. I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me but I'm only 5'6" and 130 pounds and he's 6'8" and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,

Alice

Until next time....

Michael

1 comment:

  1. Using push mowers with self-propell power is just plain cheating!

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete